Mesquite, Nevada – Ryan Bundy, 45, who escaped conviction for his
involvement in two armed confrontations between right-wing militia activists and the U.S. government plans a run for Nevada governor on a states’ rights platform.
In a telephone interview with Reuters he said he would mount a petition drive to qualify for the November ballot as an independent candidate.
He told Reuters that: “I intend to secure the sovereignty of the state of Nevada and its land and resources for the people of Nevada. ”
On January 8th, Judge Gloria M. Navarro of Federal District Court, declared a mistrial in a case involving Ryan, his father, and brother Ammon, along with supporter Ryan W. Payne. The case resulted from an April 2014 armed standoff at the Bundy ranch near Mesquite and Bunkerville over land grazing fees.
[amazon_link asins=’1507723393′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’nevadatoday-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’820ed393-271b-11e8-a3ea-657cfbb4c927′]
The decision could be appealed by prosecutors if they won an appeal and that reversed the ruling. Then federal prosecutors could pursue a new indictment from a new grand jury.
In 2016, Ryan and Ammon Bundy were acquitted by a federal court jury in a separate case stemming from their roles in an armed takeover earlier that year of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon. Jurors in that case expressed concerns about the prosecutors handling of the case.
Under Nevada law, a candidate unaffiliated with either major party must gather 250 signatures of registered voters by June 1 to qualify for the ballot.